[IRW Aylhr] Penumbra - SD242105.22 - [Backlog] Past Imperfect Pt 4 - Shiarrael t'Rehu

A Mission Post by Riov Rhaego tr'Neyl
Mission: Penumbra
Location: Ki'Bahrytyhn, Ch'Rihan
Timeline: 15 Years Ago

OOC: My plan is to get out all the backlogs by Friday and get the stage set for the present. Saturday I should be sending out the first plot log and introducing the Aylhr's CO.

[Praetorate Complex, Ki'Bahrytyhn, Ch'Rihan]

Cold. Wet. Rain fell in sheets creating a thick spray of mist from the edges of the umbrella. Shiarrael let out a breath and watched it flow out ahead of her and slowly dissipate into the cold wetness.
"Galae Enriov"
She stopped and looked behind her through the veil of driving rain at a wet and exasperated aid who grimaced beneath the protection of a rain shield "don't you think we should come back later?"
"If I thought we should come later I wouldn't be here now, would I Arrain?" She frowned at the young Rihannsu "if you find a little rain too troublesome then you can return to the flitter." And reassign yourself you useless pile of hlai shit, she thought. "Otherwise, shut up and follow me quietly."
"Sorry!" He started to bow but Shiarrael turned around and continued walking ignoring his apology.
It was such a wet and soggy day. Shiarrael found it bothersome. Something was wrong with the weather satellite system above Ki'Bahrytyhn and it had caused several unscheduled rainstorms. Technicians were frantically trying to resolve the issue but for now, Shiarrael would just have to deal with the deluge. Ahead of her, she could make out a lone silhouette standing at the edge of the Praetorian gardens, leaning against the stone balustrade, looking out towards the foggy view of the city's skyline. She stopped and turned to her aid "stay here." She said before continuing. Approaching the figure, she let out a sigh "so, you're going to just stand here and sulk in this?" She gestured at the sky "Shiarkek?"
Shiarkek turned and looked at her. His short raven hair was pressed flat against his scalp as long tendrils of water flowed across his face. His eyes were ringed with darkness and his olive complexion seemed a bit paler. Shiarrael was not sure if it was just the weather or if he might be sick. Her former RS appeared emotionless as he studied her quietly. "Congratulations Galae'EnRiov." He finally said, but the statement was void of any emotion. "I must ask you to forgive my appearance."
"It's fine. You always looked like shit Shiarkek." She smirked "so are you really going to stand here and sulk? This seems rather miserable, even for you."
"I'm going to resign," Shiarkek said, his head turning back to the depressing view of the rainy skyline. "I have done all I can for the Empire. It is time I complete my Serona."
"Oh?" Shiarrael moved next to Shiarkek and lowered the rim of her umbrella so that it covered him "and what will you do? Become a politician?" She sighed "it may suit you at that. I could always see you as some stale Senator or even a Praetor. But do you really want the last memory they have of you in the Galae being the failure above Derex?"
"I am not you Shiarrael." He said "there was a time when I felt like your equal or even that I could eclipse you. But I am not you and I will never be you. What happened over Derex was truly enlightening. I will never come close to the great Shiarrael t'Rehu."
"I would hope not. One of me is more than enough for the whole damn galaxy. Two? Elements help us." Shiarrael had always known that Shiarkek used her as a litmus. Ever since he had been her RS everything was a competition to surpass her. While he could not see it in his current mental state, in some ways he had. She frowned at him "do you think I haven't known failure? Fuck. You were my RS for elements sake when we lost to the Federation. When I was captured. What a true failure that was. So, the Klingons kicked your ass? Do you know how many Romulans before you have lost battles against the Klingons? Many. Many more will. Do not dwell on your failure. Dwell on the future and how we will route those bastards and send them back Qo'nos like a pack of scared Hlai. I need you."
The rhythmic sound of rain rapping against the stonework filled the silence that followed. It seemed endless as the rain poured around them. Shiarrael studied the well-manicured gardens below and leaned against the stone railing as she waited. Finally, Shiarkek looked at her "why do you need me? Of all the Rihannsu in the Galae, why me? Surely there are plenty of Admirals whose name are not currently being thrown about as curses?"
"There are few with your ability to organize fleet operations." She sighed "I will give you a bit of advice. Being a successful leader is not always about one's individual talents, but often in the talent that they surround themselves with. Sure, I can find someone else, but why should I? You are here and you appear to have time to waste since you are currently sulking in the rain allowing yourself to be drenched like some fool."
More silence. She could see that Shiarkek was thinking. No doubt it wounded his pride to consider a role under her command. Just a few weeks ago he was on the verge of becoming Galae'EnRiov himself. After Derex, it was probably wishful thinking that the end of his military career would automatically mean a political position. Some failures were simply hard to forget. This Shiarrael knew all too well.
"Ok." He finally muttered and then looked at her "I will help you."

Flitter - Romulan Hovercar
Serona - Term for the 10-year mandatory service all Romulan citizens must undertake. Though, many often colloquially refer to their entire careers as completing their Serona.

This is an automated email, please don't reply to this message.

Comments